Are you letting others rule your life?
Do you let society, your friends or boyfriend take over the steering wheel too much? Take our quiz to find out if you’ve got to jump back into the driver’s seat.Image Courtesy: Nicola Murless @art.swg.co.za
1. You really want to study medicine, but your friends think it’s boring to go the conventional career route. This makes you:
a) Stick to your guns regardless.
b) Think about what they said for a bit.
c) Question if you should do it or not.
2. Your friend keeps insisting that your boyfriend is out of your league. You:
a) Laugh it off and keep him.
b) Start looking for signs that she’s right.
c) Dump him.
3. Your friends can’t stop going on about how much they like a certain band you dislike. When they get excited about going to the band’s concert and they invite you, you:
a) Decline. Why would you wanna put your ears through that torture?
b) Consider going along just to check it out for fun.
c) Fake enthusiasm and get matching tees to wear.
4. You really want to travel for a year before hitting the books, but your boyfriend is hoping you canal be a campus couple. You:
a) Try convince him to take a gap year with you instead.
b) Feel miffed you won’t be sharing the university experience together.
c) Wonder if school could be cool after all…
5. You decide to go blonde just as everyone else is getting darker hair – even your fave fashion website claimed darker was hotter. You:
a) Keep your blonde locks ‘cause they look good on you.
b) Feel a bit down as you start doubting your dye decision.
c) Speed-dial your hairdresser for an urgent back-to-black appointment.
1. a1 b2 c3
2. a1 b2 c3
3. a1 b2 c3
4. a1 b2 c3
5. a1 b2 c3
Shotgun! You’re driving
Although you might feel overwhelmed by others’ opinions when it comes to your life, you don’t absorb everything around you like a sponge. You have your own mind and you’re not afraid to use it. This means that, although sometimes your friends might not be keen on what you decide to do, you end up happy because you make the right choices. This is what counts, considering it’s your stoked life and only YOU get to live it.
You seem to be taking turns to drive the car of your life. Sometimes you let your friends take over, like when they want to do something they like, instead of focusing on what you want. Yes, compromise is important, but you should never trade in your opinions, values and life decisions. That’s like letting someone else drive you into a ditch. Focus on what you like and want first and foremost because it’s the little decisions that will determine if you dig your life or not.
Take the wheel
It’s easy to go along with what we’re told – whether society, our boyfriend or friends are the ones telling us certain things: what’s cool, what we should do with our lives, what music to listen to… But the problem is that when you make a decision, only you’re the one who gets to face the consequences of it, not society, your mates or your dude! So it’s really up to you to decide if you can live with a fake life or if you want the real deal according to your terms. The latter is so much more fun. Try it on for size.